Evaluation of the National System of Science, Technology and Innovation
One of the major objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 is for the Kingdom to have a diverse and a prosperous economy. Both knowledge and innovation that are based on scientific R&D have become key necessities to ensure the Kingdom’s transition from natural resources-based economy towards a comprehensive knowledge-based society and economy.
The R&D ecosystem in the Kingdom consists of several components including: the policies and regulations for science, technology, and innovation; the inputs and outputs of key performance indicators (KPIs) related to R&D; and the outcome and the developmental and economical impact of R&D.
It is well-known that KACST plays a critical role in advancing the R&D ecosystem in the Kingdom through:
- Formulating policies and national plans for STI in the Kingdom.
- Coordinating national activities in STI in the KSA.
- Providing support to scientific research and technological development in the Kingdom.
- Conducting scientific research and technological development.
- Developing and strengthening cooperation and local, regional, and international partnerships for technology transfer and development.
- Investing in technology development and its commercial processing.
- Sponsorship, promoting and investing in intellectual property.
- Providing advice and innovative solutions.
- The Board of Directors of KACST has requested, in their first meeting, that KACST should develop monitoring tools and KPIs to evaluate the R&D ecosystem and assess its outcome and impact in the Kingdom. KACST Board of Directors have also requested KACST to submit periodic reports on the performance of the R&D ecosystem to them.