Saudi Energy Efficiency Center
Visit Saudi Energy Efficiency Center Site
Saudi Energy Efficiency Center (SEEC) was established by the council of ministers decision No. 363 dated 24 Dhu al-Qadah 1431H, that mandated the transfer of the national (provisional) program for energy management and rationalization to a Permanent National Center within the framework of the administrative organization of King Abdulaziz city for Science and Technology directly related to the mayor of the city and supervised by a committee composed of representatives from the related stakeholders.
The Cabinet Decision No. 16 dated 17/1/1433 AH also approved the organization of the center as well as the addition of a number of bodies to the administrative committee: Ministry of Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources, Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs, Ministry of Commerce and Investment, Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Culture and Information, Ministry of Housing, Ministry of Economy and Planning, Saudi standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO), Electricity and Co-Generation Regularity Authority(ECRA), Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu, General Presidency of Meteorology and Environmental Protection, Saline Water Conversion Corporation(SWCC), King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy(KACARE), Customs Department, the National Committee for the Clean Development Mechanism(CDM-DNA), Saudi Aramco, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), Saudi Electricity Company(SEC), as well as private sector
SEEC aims to unify and consolidate the efforts of governmental and non-governmental organizations in rationalizing their energy consumption and increasing their energy efficiency.
To support the conservation of national energy resources and develop the national economy through rationalizing energy consumption and increasing energy efficiency in order to meet the national energy intensity target.
Main activities of SEEC
- Prepare a national program to rationalize energy efficiency and develop the necessary plans
- Develop policies and regulations governing energy consumption and support their application.
- Support the integration of the stakeholders’ efforts to improve energy efficiency and coordination among them.
- Promote social and public awareness of rationalization and improving energy efficiency.
- Participate in the implementation of some pilot projects that require the participation of the Center.
- To propose energy efficiency policies and regulations.
- To support energy efficiency in home appliances, lighting and the transportation sector.
- To follow up the implementation of legislation, policies and plans for rationalizing energy use and increasing energy efficiency, and recommend the necessary steps to implement them.
- To develop and support Energy Efficiency Labeling Standards.
- To establish energy auditing standards, and provide auditing services.
- To support procedures and activities to increase energy efficiency in buildings.
- To support electrical load management initiatives.
- To build energy efficiency database in collaboration with related stakeholders.
- To set benchmarks for energy rationalization, conservation and efficiency in different sectors and preparing periodic reports to monitor the progress through programs and techniques that fit to the Kingdom’s environment.
- To Promote and supporting the investment in the field of energy rationalization, conservation and efficiency.
- To Support and motivating studies and researches in the fields of energy rationalization, conservation and efficiency
- To Provide of administrative and technical training in the fields of energy rationalization, conservation and efficiency.
- To Spread of Awareness in energy rationalization, conservation and efficiency through successful expertise and applications in this field and consider the awareness of students in the field of energy rationalization, conservation and efficiency. Besides, working with related bodies to spread the message of energy rationalization, conservation and efficiency through educational materials and different media such as holding conferences and workshops and media programs.
- To Conduct of communication and international cooperation in the field of energy rationalization, conservation and efficiency and utilize the experiences of advanced countries and signing of agreements with international related bodies to get utilize the best technologies, systems, researches and studies in this field in accordance with the official procedures
National Energy Efficiency program
In order to achieve the most important tasks of the Saudi Energy Efficiency Center, i.e, the establishment of a national energy Efficiency program, the center’s administrative committee approved the formation of an executive committee presided by His Royal Highness Prince Abdul Aziz bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, with members center’s representing a number of stakeholders in the administrative committee with for the preparation of this program, with the participation of government agencies and major national companies, as well as a large number of private sector companies in order to improve the energy efficiency in the Kingdom: In buildings, ground transportation and reduce the consumption in these sectors by modifying and industrial sectors household electrical appliances, thermal insulation materials, lighting, vehicle fuel consumption, iron, cement and petrochemicals plants.
The National Energy Efficiency Program is comprehensive efforts based on consensus and agreement among all stakeholders, both public and private, as it seeks to develop and implement energy efficiency programs and to develop initiatives, systems, regulations and implementation and funding mechanisms which help in achieving this, according to a working mechanism based, full cooperation between relevant governmental agencies responsible for the implementation of these programs, and the full observance of and respect for the jurisdiction of the various actors, and to benefit from international experience and expertise in discussing the results of energy efficiency programs adopted globally. The objectives of the program can be summarized as follows:
- Improve Kingdom’s energy efficiency using initiatives tailored to the local market potential.
- Involve all stakeholders in program creation (government, corporations and the public).
SEEC has continued the work, during 2016, on preparing the Saudi Energy Efficiency Program in which many initiatives were prepared for the main three sectors (building, land transport and industry sectors) that their consumption represents more than 90% of total local energy consumption. Through procedures and available potentials, some tasks and initiatives were achieved to increase energy consumption efficiency in these sectors as follows:
- Updating the specification of minimum Energy Performance Standards of small capacity air-conditioners of all kinds (window /split) with manufacturers, suppliers and stakeholders from the government and the private sector.
- Completion of the preparation of the energy efficiency standard for air conditioners with a capacity greater than 70 thousand thermal units, and the enforcement of the new standards has been started in the 3rd quarter of 2017
- Implementation of the application of thermal insulation of buildings mechanism through the follow-up engineering offices work, and referral of the offense engineering offices to the requirements of the application of thermal insulation of the secretariats and municipalities to start the application of a suspension in accordance with the regulations, knowledge of the obstacles and challenges, and introduced to the development of the implementation mechanism system.
- Conducted several workshops for the inspectors of Ministry of Commerce and Investment, the Saudi Custom and SASO to introduce the enforcement mechanism of energy efficiency standards for ACs, white goods, thermal insulation, lighting, electric motors, fuel economy label and tiers.
- Contribution with the Saudi Organization for Standardization, Metrology and Quality in the development of the application of the "verification" on smart devices, which allows the consumer to verify the information on the card energy efficiency of the devices.
- Preparing the fuel economy reports on an annual basis to show commitment of companies to achieve the objectives of the fuel economy, and share the result car manufacturers.
- Update the Energy Efficiency of all light vehicles (2010-2017).
- Update the electronic portal to review the requirements of the energy efficiency of the tires, in line with the requirements of government authorities and manufacturing companies.
- Updated the electronic portal to review the requirements of the fuel economy of cars, in line with the requirements of government agencies and manufacturing companies.
- Updated the energy efficiency guidelines for used cars to include all available vehicle models imported (2010-2017).
- The cement, steel and petrochemical industries are under construction, and the designs of these factories are being worked out, and a specific mechanism is set up to improve the efficiency of their capacity.
- Initial design review of 13 new production lines to meet the standards and energy efficiency requirements approved by the new plants.
- As a result of the program efforts in the urban planning field, the council of minister decision dated 3 October 2016 that mandated the governmental sector to use District Cooling Technology in the design of new projects if the following conditions are met:
- The project shall be new
- The cooling demand shall be more than 15,000 tons
- Availability of treatment water in the project Area.
The decision assigned SEEC to coordinate with ECRA to review and update these conditions as required.
- The Board of the Public Investment Fund was approved to establish National Energy Efficiency Service Company and the company got the required approval from Ministry of Commerce and Investment to start its work.
- Completion of the National Measurement and Verification Protocol after taking into consideration the technical observations of the companies.
- Completed field survey of the targeted government buildings in cooperation with the ECRA and SEC.
- Promote social and public awareness of rationalizing energy consumption and improving energy efficiency.
- Established the Center of Excellency in Energy Efficiency in KFUPM
- Adding energy efficiency courses to the Engineering colleges in five Universities which are: KSU, KFUPM, KAU, University of Qassim and University of Tabuk.
- Conduct several training courses across the Kingdom to build the national capacity in the energy efficiency field.