Industrial property is one of the branches of intellectual property. It refers to the protection of rights related to the creations of the mind applied in industrial, commercial, and agricultural fields. It covers:
• Industrial Designs
• Plant Varieties
• Layout Designs of integrated circuits
• Geographical indications of source King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) grants protection documents for inventions, layout designs of integrated circuits, plant varieties and industrial designs.
History of Industrial Property in Saudi Arabia.
In 1982, KACST was notified of the Royal Decree approving the accession of Saudi Arabia to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). Accordingly, patents has been assigned to KACST since intellectual property is essentially about patents and technology transfer and KACST is the scientific body qualified for this mission.
The first Law of Patents was issued by the Royal Decree No. (M / 38) dated 10/6/1409 H (18/1/1989 AD). The Law aimed to provide protection for inventions in Saudi Arabia, and it was modified in 19 / 7 / 1425 H (4/9/2004 AD).
The modified Law of Patents, Layout Designs of Integrated Circuits, Plant Varieties, and Industrial Designs was issued by the Royal Decree No. (M/27) dated 17/7/2004 and was published in the Official Gazette (Om Alqura) in 7/8/2004, and became effective as of 5/9/2004.
Granting protection documents for inventions, layout designs of integrated circuits, plant varieties and industrial designs in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Providing protection for industrial property for the fields falling within KACST responsibilities.
- Filing and examining industrial property applications.
- Granting industrial property rights.
- Developing national database for industrial property rights.
- Publishing documents of industrial property rights.
- Promoting creativity and raising industrial property awareness.