BADIR Program for Technology Incubators and Accelerators
BADIR program was established in 2007 under the umbrella of KACST. It is a comprehensive national program that seeks to create and develop technology business incubators, encourage the concept of technology entrepreneurship and transform technical projects and research into promising commercial products. This is done by providing a suitable environment that eliminates some of the major risks associated with any startup and allows entrepreneurs to focus on the development of their plans, with the goal of creating a knowledge-based society and economy in the Kingdom.
BADIR program has become a destination for investors looking for promising investment opportunities, given its success in creating a rich technical environment that has allowed the incubated companies to share each other’s know-how and benefit from each other.
BADIR program continues to witness many achievements which helped promote an innovative and creative environment in which startups can grow, and where the capabilities of Saudi entrepreneurs can be pushed forward with the goal of transforming their ideas into promising commercial products.
BADIR program aims to contribute to the growth of the Saudi economy and to meet the needs of the community in technology sector, by supporting entrepreneurship, innovation, business incubation and development of a suitable environment for the growth of emerging ventures.
- Business plan development and enhancement of business models.
- Workshops to develop individual entrepreneurship and business management skills.
- Legal, administrative and human resource management consultation services.
- Marketing and market research skills development.
- Assistance in obtaining access to funding.
- Ongoing mentoring and coaching support for the development and growth of startups.
- Access to work space, laboratories, workshops and offices.
BADIR ICT Incubators
The BADIR ICT Incubator was established in 2008, with the goal of supporting and developing the information technology sector in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It is the first incubator to setup under the BADIR program.
Fields of Operation
- Computing and communication devices.
- Infrastructure or information technology and communications.
- Software solutions.
- Smartphone applications.
Achievements this Year
- Incubation of 26 new startups.
- Held 20 workshops to develop entrepreneurs’ skills.
- Enabling 7 incubated companies to be featured in GITEX 2016 DUBAI.
- Participated in 3 major events linked to the IT field, making it possible for incubated companies to showcase their products.
- Graduated 6 successful companies:
- Morni: An online platform for roadside assistance services.
- Foodics: A fully comprehensive cloud computing services for restaurant management.
- Woqood: A website and smartphone application development company.
- Sawwerly: An online platform that connects photographers with potential customers.
- Saudi Matches: A real time information source on soccer matches in the Saudi league and European leagues.
- Culture Catalysts: A broad spectrum initiative that utilizes its tools to encourage, promote and recognize creative culture and helps create people achieve their goals through direct support and mentorship.
BADIR Biotechnology Incubator
BADIR Biotechnology incubator was established in 2010 within the King Fahd Medical City complex in Riyadh. The incubator works to encourage and support the establishment and development of the biotechnology business sector, through assisting the commercialization of research projects as well as private sector biotechnology innovative products and services. Its aim is to create advanced medical services, support the localization and commercialization of biotechnology and contribute to the advancement of the health sector in the Kingdom.
Fields of Operation
- Health, medicine and pharmaceuticals.
Achievements this Year
- Incubation of 7 new startups.
- Graduated 2 successful companies.
- Five companies currently incubated began to generate revenue.
- Provision of 150 new jobs from incubated companies.
- Participation in largest event catering to Biotechnology field in the Kingdom, in doing so allowing three incubated companies to be featured in the event.
- Signing MOU’s with SFDA and the National Unified Procurement Company for Medical Supplies.
- Held seven workshops to develop entrepreneurs’ skills
BADIR Advanced Manufacturing Incubator
BADIR Advanced Manufacturing Incubator (AMI) was established in 2010 in Riyadh. It serves entrepreneurs and innovators in the field of engineering and advanced manufacturing, with the aim of achieving a renaissance in the advanced manufacturing industry of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Fields of Operation
- Innovation and development of advanced industrial equipment.
- Production of advanced industrial materials.
- Manufacture of new and innovative products.
Achievements this Year
- Incubation of 14 new startups.
- Held 2 workshops for the development of entrepreneurs’ skills.
- Graduated one successful startup.
- Facilitated the participation of one incubated startup in GITEX 2016 DUBAI.
- Co-op training of 6 students in collaboration with the college of institute.
- Signing of a memorandum of understanding with the Abha Chamber of Commerce and Industry, with the goal of promoting the concept of entrepreneurship, developing an environment for innovation and technology, and supporting startups in the region via the establishment of BADIR Abha incubator in 2017.
- Signing of a memorandum of understanding with the Qassim Chamber of Commerce and Industry, with the goal of promoting the concept of entrepreneurship, developing an environment for innovation and technology and supporting startups in the region through the establishment of BADIR Qassim Incubator in 2017.
- Startup weekend Jazan was organized by BADIR in collaboration with Jazan University, Riyad Bank and Microsoft. The total number of applicants reached 755 young creative Saudi men and women, 53 of whom qualified to participate with their ideas and 15 of them were voted to compete in the final round, where “falloukah” an app designed by locals from Jazan, was the ultimate winner.
- Startup weekend Taif was organized by BADIR in collaboration with the Taif Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Taif university, Riyad Bank and Microsoft. The total number of applicants reached 505 young creative Saudi men and women, 62 of whom qualified to participate with their ideas and 15 of them were voted to compete in the final round, where “Wahidoon” was the ultimate winner. The 15 finalists were incubated at BADIR.
- BADIR program took part in GITEX Dubai 2016, allowing 7 of its incubated companies to feature their products: Morni, Foodics, Controllex, Noga, Zeez, eSIGN and Creative Arts. In Dubai, these companies were also able to sign deals with new customers and suppliers ultimately expanding their businesses.
- Seven companies incubated at BADIR were featured in the Forbes top fifty startups in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the year 2016.
- Jazan University Incubator: In December 2015, during the second forum for innovation and entrepreneurship which was organized by Jazan University, a memorandum of understanding was signed between BADIR and the University aimed at cooperation in the areas of the establishment of incubators and fostering a culture of technical entrepreneurship.
- MODON Industrial Incubators: A memorandum of understanding was signed with the Saudi Industrial Property Authority, aiming to provide a framework within which the two sides can cooperate to work on establishing industrial business incubators. Planning was concluded to establish an industrial incubator in Dammam.
- Expansion: BADIR plans to increase its presence from three cities in the Kingdom to nine cities. Work is currently underway to open new incubators in Abha, Buraidah, and Dammam, as part of its first phase of expansion.
- BADIR entrepreneurship HUB: BADIR program is currently working on opening its new entrepreneurship hub which will feature low cost workspaces for startups that aren’t incubated at BADIR, as well as space reserved for community events such as workshops and lectures, with the aim that this space can be a place where entrepreneurs and innovators can work together and unleash their potential.
- Mentorship Program: The mentorship program at BADIR launched in 2016 in cooperation with successful entrepreneurs who wish to give some of their time to mentor incubated company owners.
- Space Industry Incubator: A new incubator, specializing in assisting clients develop space technologies for earth-based commercial applications, will be established in cooperation with the European Space Agency.