The participations of HH KACST president in international forums:
- The first session of the Arab-Chinese Conference for the transfer of science, technology, and cooperation in the field of innovation was held in KACST of Yinchuan in the Republic of China on 25-27 of November 1436 Hijri. The Kingdom participated in the conference by exhibiting models of products of scientific research and technological development. This contribution promoted friendship and deepened cooperation for common development between the Arab States and the Peoples Republic of China in the areas of investment, agriculture, health, internet, and technology transfer. His Highness the President of KACST presented the Kingdom’s speech at the conference in which he referred to the cooperation between the Kingdom and the Republic of China in many areas, including: petroleum, petrochemical, nuclear and renewable energy, biotechnology, and peaceful uses of space. The Forum hosted the opening of the China-Arab Center for technology transfer CASTTC which aims at exchanging scientific and technical information between China and Arab countries, and conduct joint research and exhibitions in the field of science and technology.
- The 17th Conference for Business Owners and Arab Investors was held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE) on the 4th and 5th of Safar 1437 AH with the participation of more than a thousand officials, entrepreneurs, organizations, and bodies to encourage Arab investment experts, bankers, and intellectuals in the economic and investment fields. This conference is an innovative idea to acquaint the Arab business community with the importance of entrepreneurship and innovation, and to familiarize then with Arab institutions and international organizations concerned with the support and development of entrepreneurs and innovative thinking. His Highness KACST’s president contributed as a key speaker in the conference during a dialogue session, titled: (Policies and Initiatives to Develop Entrepreneurship and Innovation in the Arab Countries). His Highness touched on KACST’s role in the field of science, technology, and innovation as the competent authority for the formulation of national policies and plans for science, technology, and innovation. He pointed out that the Kingdom occupies the 1st rank among Arab countries in the field of innovation according to the international ranking, and the 43th rank. Finally, he highlighted the establishment of the program «Bader» for technology incubators and accelerators.
- The International Summit for Science, Technology, and Innovation was held in KACST of Daejeon, Republic of South Korea on the 6th and 7th of Muharram 1437 AH. The summit was inaugurated by the Korean Prime Minister under the slogan «Building our Common Future through Science, Technology, and Innovation». The summit discussed the appropriate use technology to bridge the gaps between different regions and countries, as well as ways to achieve economic sustainable development and improve the quality of life through technological innovation. His Highness the President of KACST made a presentation on the Kingdom’s innovation system and the efforts undertaken by KACST and the Kingdom to move towards a knowledge-based economy. A memorandum of Understanding was signed during the visit with the Korea Institute for Assessment and Planning of Science and Technology under the umbrella of the memorandum of cooperation in the field of creative economy and knowledge-based society with the Ministry of Science, Information Technology, Communication, and Future planning of the Republic of Korea.
Participation in the Joint Commissions’ meetings:
KACST participated in a number of the Joint Commissions’ meetings to promote and develop cooperation in scientific and technical fields, including:
- The meeting of the 19th session of the German - Saudi Joint Commission held in Riyadh from 16 - 17 May, 1436 under the chairmanship of his Excellency the Minister of Finance.
- The 5th session of the Chinese - Saudi Commission held in Riyadh from 24 - 25 May 1436 under the chairmanship of his Excellency the Minister of Commerce and Industry.
- The meeting of the 2nd session of the joint Portuguese – Saudi Commission held in Lisbon from 17 - 20 Jumada II, 1436 AH headed by the Minister of Commerce and Industry.
- The meeting of the 6th session of the joint South African – Saudi Commission held in Riyadh from 15 - 17 Rajab, 1436 AH headed by the Minister of Commerce and Industry.
- The 1st session of the joint Belarusian – Saudi held in Riyadh from 17 - 18 Rajab, 1436 AH under the chairmanship of the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- The 11th session of the Indian - Saudi Commission held in the Indian city of New Delhi from 8 - 10 Shaaban, 1436 H, headed by the Minister of Commerce and Industry.
- The meeting of the 4th session of the joint Saudi-Russian Commission held in Moscow on 14 Safar, 1437 AH under the chairmanship of His Excellency the Governor General Authority for Investment.
- The meeting of the 4th session of the joint Azerbaijani - Saudi Commission held in Riyadh from 3-4 Rabe’a I, 1437, chaired by His Excellency the Governor and Chairman of the General Authority for Investment Management.
The international participations of the Department of International Cooperation:
- The department contributed in studying the agenda of the 38th session of the Economic, Social, and Cultural Affairs of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation which was held in Jeddah from 11 - 13 Jumada II, 1436 AH.
- The department participated as part of a delegation of high-level Saudi government officials headed by the Minister of Commerce and Industry to visit the eastern republics of Central Asia (Kazakhstan - Azerbaijan) from 23 - 26 Rajab, 1436 AH.
- Multilateral negotiations conference to prepare the International Code of Conduct on Outer Space Activities from 11 - 15 Shawwal, 1436 AH.
- Preparatory meeting for the activities of the Gulf Week held on 25 November 1436 AH.
- Seventh World Science Forum held in Hungary from 22 - 25 Muharram, 1437 AH.
- The Federation of Arab Scientific Research Councils’ meeting at its 37th session held in Khartoum from 4 - 5 March, 1437 AH
- KACST also participated in the Standing Committee on Scientific and Technical Cooperation Activities (COMSTECH) which represents the Kingdom in the meetings of the Committee and its various activities.
The participations of International Research Institutes:
- General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency: King Abdulaziz City, represented by the Institute of Nuclear Science Research with a number of national bodies, participated in the International Atomic Energy Agency conference held in September 2015 under the Royal Decree. The meetings discussed the work and activities of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Technical cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency on Mutation Breeding: King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, represented by the Institute of Nuclear Science Research, participated in the periodic meetings of the Regional Project on Mutation Breeding using nuclear roads under the auspices of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and in coordination with King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable energy. This coordination was designed to display the activities and output of the city in this regard with the modernization of the annual plan for the project. A step taken to support the development and localization of technologies for sustainable breeding.
- Technical cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency on saline agriculture: under the auspices of the International Atomic Energy Agency and in coordination with King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy, King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, represented by the Institute of Nuclear Science Research, participated in the first regular meeting of the Regional Project on Saline Agriculture to use nuclear roads. The participation showcased the city’s activity in this area and to develop and localize the supporting technologies for sustainable agriculture to take advantage of the areas affected by salinity and the use of salt water.
- United Nations Commission for Peaceful Uses of the Outer Space: the Institute of Space and Aviation Research at King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, represented by the National Center for Remote Sensing Technology and the National Centre for Satellite Technology as part of the United Nations Commission for Peaceful Uses of Outer Apace and as part of the scientific and legal committees. The work includes monitoring the implementation of existing agreements, reviewing future agreements within the sub-work teams, and voting in this regard when needed. The work also includes registration of space objects owned by the Kingdom in the space, like satellites, in accordance with the procedures of the committee. KACST also participates in International Programs of Cooperation and Exchange of Information in the field of peaceful use of space.
- The Supervisory Committee that follows up the research program on the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Krona): the committee was formed based on the decision of the President of King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology. KACST supervises he committee with the participation of members from: the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Agriculture. The committee identifies research priorities, with the help of local and international experts, obtains approval, then communicates and coordinates with the relevant authorities with regard to the prioritization of scientific research that is approved by scientific advisory boards of such entities. The committee also establishes a fast track to approve and execute researches in the appropriate speed, as well as communicates with the appropriate international bodies and establishes partnerships with them. This step contributes to the promotion of scientific research locally and internationally after the approval of the head of the city. Finally, the city establishes sub-committees and takes advantage of the existing committees and councils.