The National Committee of Medical & Bioethics was approved by the Royal Decree on 18/5/1422H, to be headquartered at KACST in Riyadh. It consists of the following sub-committees:
- The legal sub-committee.
- The human research sub-committee.
- The flora & animal sub-committee.
- The education & media sub-committee.
The activities of the National Committee of Medical & Bioethics for the reporting year consist of the following:
Meetings of local committees:
As a result of the Ministerial Resolution No. 180 dated 9/6/1425H mandating the creation of local committees for medical & bioethics, the National Committee of Medical & Bioethics invited to hold the first meeting of the local committees for medical & bioethics. Eighty government & private bodies were invited to attend the meeting, where the following issues were emphasized:
- The registration of the currently formed committees with the National Committee of Medical & Bioethics.
- Encouraging bodies which have not yet formed their local committees to form these committees in compliance with the Royal decree.
- The interaction of local committees with the national committee through the website or by mail.
Registration of local committees:
There are two ways for local committees to register:
- Completing a sample form & sending it by mail or by facsimile to the National Committee of Medical & Bioethics.
- Emailing the completed form through the website.
- The information provided in the form is verified, and then registered in the national database of medical & bioethics.
Registration of researchers:
The National Committee of Medical & Bioethics can register researchers wishing to conduct biological research in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Researchers can register through the committee’s website, & obtain a “license” to conduct the research according to the conditions set by the committee through the local committee for which the researchers work.
To obtain this license, researchers must answer a number of general questions related to biological research, or what is known as "Lessons on the medical & bioethical research on the" rights, animal or plant". The lessons are:
- Medical & bioethics in Islam.
- Medical & bioethics in the international context.
- The National Committee of Medical & Bioethics.
- Rules regulating the ethics of research on Man.
- Rules regulating the ethics of research on Animals.
- Rules regulating the ethics of research on Plants.
Seminars & lectures:
The committee held its fifth discussion panel entitled “Clinical research: ethical aspects” on 23/10/1427 H. Some of the main issues addressed were: the importance of clinical research, procedural & ethical controls & teaching, education & publishing.
The discussion panel presented a framework of ethical & legitimate aspects of dealing with clinical research & studies, addressing the professional medical requirements, the professional staff requirements & their framework in an Islamic society.
Visit NCBE website